Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Greatest Films Ever Made (My Version)

What is it in a movie that makes it great? It is when you want to watch it over and over again and it still has the same effect on you and makes you remember the most delicious lines ever written. The greatest films made are those where you still discover something new when you watch it.

----Jerome C. Daclison, Film Enthusiast
========================================================
Don't you just love the opening blurb? I bet you thought it came from some "can't-distinguish-from-a-true-or-pseudo-film critic." But I guess that's what watching movies is all about. It is about "you"--the audience--that determines what a great film is. As a film enthusiast, all I can do is SHARE, not IMPOSE, some films that I thought were great. So expect a series, my loves. But what I'm gonna SHARE right now are some of the films that I've watched a gazillion times already but still affects me like its the first time I've watched it. I hope you try them and post a comment if you liked or hated them. Popcorn, softdrinks, and butterfly kisses to all!


The Godfather Trilogy

Yeah, yeah. I know some of you would say, "bleech! that is so given!" Hold your horses, freakshows! Here's a question for you. Have you tried watching the three in one day? Oh please do. Ten hours of pure excellence. Lots of memorable lines: "Make them an offer that they cannot refuse" and "keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer". I've gained wisdom from the trilogy. So enjoy watching. Note: Watch what happens every time there's a shot with an orange or oranges.



Alien Series


I ask you to ponder on this: Can you think of anyone else that could play Lt. Eleanor Ripley other than Sigourney Weaver? Post a comment if you want to. But for me, she kicked ass! And who could ever forget that scene from "Aliens" where Ripley comes out in the hydraulic thingy then shouts at the alien queen, "Get away from her, you bitch!" Taraaaaaaaaay! Winner! Watch all of it. She goes through a lot of conflicts in every sequel.





Misery


Now, this is a film where you will get a heart attack every time Nurse Annie Wilkes throws a fit. Very well crafted, well-acted, and well-directed. Rob Reiner delivers his best by taking this Stephen King novel and harnessing the talents of two exceptional actors, James Caan (The Godfather) and Kathy Bates (who won the Oscar Best Actress in 1991). Oh please watch this! Please, please, please! Look out for the dinner scene where Nurse Wilkes makes a toast, "To Misery..." Damn!




Dolores Claiborne

Talk about showdown of talents with Kathy Bates and Jennifer Jason Leigh on the film. Delicious. But in this film, I love the character of Vera Donovan (played by Judy Parfitt) Oh, I hate her for having the most divine diva lines! (An accident, Dolores, can be an unhappy woman's best friend... & "...sometimes being a high-riding bitch is all that a woman can hang on to.") Hate her!






An Affair To Remember


Deborah Kerr and Cary Grant exemplifies good chemistry. Blame this movie for the existence of people demanding for romance. Once the first note of the musical score plays, I'm a goner. Floodgates. I know all the lines by heart. If you want a romantic evening with your partner, make sure you watch this. (I promise you the sex is gonna be sooooo great after watching this....)






The Hand That Rocks The Cradle


A far cry from the whining Fran Fine, the flying Mary Poppins, and Regine Velasquez in "Wanted: Perfect Mother", watch out for Rebecca de Mornay's performance as a vengeful wife posing as a nanny. This movie is a template for screenwriters and may I just say that this movie inspired me to write...






Shining Through

Word to describe my experience in watching this film: SPLENDID. Loved everything about the film. Watch out for Melanie Griffith in a ball gown and high heels while running from the Gestapo. Love it, love it, love it!






The American President

Romance between the President of the United States and an environmental lobbyist? That's the premise of this beautiful film (which I've watched a hundred gazillion times). I just love Annette Bening's character, Sydney Ellen Wade, and her witty lines: "This is not a state of mind. When I'm in a room with you, oval or any shape, I will always be a lobbyist and you will always be the President..."



Kung Ako Na Lang Sana

Close your mouths and cut the flabbergasted, astounded reaction!!!! I really love this film. I'm a Sharonian, yes. But this is one film that is really good. It accurately depicts the realities of friendship, and that most of the time, it serves as the foundation of an intimate relationship. Try it before you say, "I will not watch a movie with Sharon and Aga and Tintin Bersola-Babao!!!" At some level, you'll connect...




Bridget Jones's Diary

Of course this will be on my list!!!!!! Sacrilege for even thinking that I will even forget my guru. Love her, love her, worship her!

1 Comments:

At 8:00 AM, Blogger GENIUS IS JUST ANOTHER MOUSE! said...

Welcome back, dearest! BTW, to prevent SPAM, say YES to comment filter on your settings.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home