Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Let Me Take You Back to My High School Yester-years

I am excited that I’m doing this entry! I have lots of great high school memories and I am just going to choose my most favorite ones. As a backgrounder, I went to a public school in Carmona, Cavite, the Carmona National High School. What’s interesting here was, I came from a private Catholic school, stopped for a year due to financial constraints (actually, dahil lang sa kaartehan dahil gusto ko private pa rin at sa bias against public schools). Anyway, let the trip down memory lane begin!

First day in school…my first year in high school. Flag ceremony, I wore a clean polo shirt, with sando, khaki pants, white socks, black shoes. I looked around, everyone was staring at me. 90% were wearing white T-shirts, khaki pants, and slippers. (shocked to death akez!). CUT TO: RECESS. I was seated in front 5th seat (letter D kasi ako). Took out my lunch box with peanut butter sandwich and thermos with Milo. As I was about to devour my baon, I stopped, everyone was staring at me…creepy.

I ran for student council position from 1st to 4th year, I never won. To this day, I wonder why.

To compensate for my lack of political career, I involved myself in the school paper which has a bi-annual circulation. I remember being the youngest Associate Editor in the history of “The Limelight”. I also remember that all of my articles were threatened to be censored because of its controversial or alleged offensive content. Here are some of those controversial articles:

Beware of the “F” Syndrome – talked about this speech phenomena where the “P” is being pronounced as “F”. Daming teacher nag-react, pinatawag ako ng principal

To Jump or Not to Jump: Fraternity as Brotherhood? – It was the height of frat wars between Tau Gamma Phi and AKRho and I went on a mission to explore the true nature of fraternities by interviewing the Cavite Chapter Masters of said fraternities. It was a ballsy, kick-ass article. Pinatawag ako ng principal…at na-elevate sa district office!

Exploring “Paligawang Matanda” – My high school tropa went to this dead waterfall called “Paligawang Matanda” after CAT one Sunday noon. It was written travelogue style and all students went ga-ga over the place. It somewhat started an urban legend that really made everyone curious and the school found complaints coming in from parents because their children went to the same place. Pinatawag ulit ako ng principal…shet.

“Where is Councilor Toot-toot’s Right Hand?” – It was the last quarter of 1990. We watched a cortege of dumptrucks traverse the national highway (leaving an unbearable stench that one can possibly stomach) on their way to the sanitary landfill which the townsfolk of Carmona protested against…but was approved…by no less than Councilor Toot-toot who, six months ago, exclaimed in a booming voice during the public hearing, KAPAG NA-APRUBAHAN ANG SANITARY LANDFILL SA CARMONA, IPAPUPUTOL KO ANG KANANG KAMAY KO!!! So, since I was Editor-in-chief then, all of us agreed to take the same photo which appeared in the previous issue where he is waving his right hand emphasizing his promise…now it was splashed with a banner headline, “Where is Councilor Toot-toot’s Right Hand?” Pinatawag ako ng principal before na-release ang papel. Syempre pinaglaban “freedom of expression” and “campus journalism act” chuva. Go. Print. After nag-circulate, the next day, principal ulit ako…pinasundo ang adviser namin, the principal, at ako…for a meeting with the Mayor and Councilor Toot-toot. Ang saya! AAAHHH! THOSE WERE THE DAYS!

I won the Provincial Championship on Spelling and Essay Writing, 3rd year and 4th year respectively. What’s more memorable was that I didn’t get the chance to be awarded because of the coup d’ etat and Sangley Point bombings. Ang ganda…

I was the official timekeeper sa CAT. Bago mag-assemble para sa uwian, center stage ako sabay sigaw ng: ATTENTION IN THE AREA! ATTENTION IN THE AREA! THE TIME IN THE PHILIPPINES INCLUDING SABAH AND VIETNAM IS 1200 HOURS…STANDARD TIME, SIR! (Akala nyo, “Darna!” ang sinisigaw ko noh…)

Ang walang kamatayang ACQUAINTANCE PARTY sa plaza ng Carmona every year!!!! Susko, napatawa ako nang maalala ko. Security measure installed was chicken wire fence...this was during the height of frat wars ha? Sobrang naalala ko pa ang mga songs: Shalamar’s “A Night to Remember”, Whitney Houston’s “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” (asus), The Jets “Rocket 2 U”, “Life Dance”, “Everybody Walk the Dinosaur”, “Supersonic”, “Pop Goes The World” (na kailangan ang costume ay may mga naka-pin na medal), "Swiss Boy", "Don't Cry", "Ring My Bell", "Brother Louie", "Tarzan Boy", "Electric Youth" ni Debbie Gibson at ang mga pang-sweet na “Always” ng Atlantic Starr, “Only You-Starlight Express Medley”, at “Changes in My Life”…bisyo na tooooo!

Of course, we would not be able to dance like pros during the Acquaintance Parties and J.S. Proms if it were not for…(cue fanfare) The Wea Dancers, The Vicor Dancers, and The Octo Arts Dancers!!!! Hahahaha! The costumes!

I was a member of our dance troupe. My most memorable performance was when we danced the “singkil”. Syempre ako ang prinsipe. (although akala ko either ako ang prinsesa o ang taga-payong. Hahahaha!)

Junior Prom was a blast. Saan pa ginanap eh di sa plaza ng Carmona! I remember that day very well. 3rd year girls were supposed to wear peach gowns and senior girls wore pink. Remember the gowns of Manilyn Reynes and Kristina Paner in That’s Entertainment? The fluffy and puffy sleeves and ball gown skirts with flat closed white shoes??? Ganun. At naglalakad lang sa kalye kasi on the way to the plaza kasi nga malapit lang! Hahahaha! Ang mga girlash heavily made up with those “Plinky Recto” tendrils and tissed bangs secured by loads of spray net! Hahahahaha! Kaloka.

Graduation. I graduated valedictorian and made history in the NCEE. (yup. I had to throw that in…)

I had a super fun time! Grabe talaga ito. I recommend it to everyone. I feel better!

7 Comments:

At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi jerome! thanks for your comment on my blog and yes, I will link you to mine. Haha! I had a blast reading your walk down memory lane. Funny thing is, I can remember all the tunes of the songs you mentioned. Haha! Goes to show how old (?) we are! :D

 
At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wahehehehe! grabe saya nitong post mo ineng! i didn't have that priveledge, yung ipatawag ng prinsipal kaingget! lol. my high school life wasnt that adventurous as in para kong imbisibol sa mundo ng school namin. Weeee kabisadong kabisado mo pa mga usong sounds noon ha :). kakatuwa ka :)

 
At 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

inggit naman ako sayo my love. ang talim ng memorya mo. naalala mo lahat yon? (as if di mo pa sya nakwento sa akin davah? LOL)

in fairness laftir ako sa iyong trip down memory lane

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Bong C. Austero said...

jusko! napareminisce din ako sa post na to. editor din ako ng paper ko..pero di ako napatawag ng principal kasi pamangkin nya ako. hahaha. saya saya!

 
At 5:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a teacher who had the "F" syndrome! LOLz!:)

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Being Jerome Daclison said...

tintin - thanks, dearest! hey, i don't care if we are that old. all i can say is that i am glad we got the chance to live in a time with music, fashion, and hair style that no one would ever dare revive! hahahahaha!

melai - ikaw? hindi napatawag ng principal? shock ako, mare! hahahaha! ching! naku, i'm sure nasa cabinet mo pa ang mga cardigan mo na may padding at ang iyong Boy London at Washed maong jacket and jeans. susko, naalala ko tuloy sina Manilyn, Tina Paner, Sheryl Cruz at Ana Roces sa mga pelikulang LOVE BOAT, STUPID CUPID, PUSO SA PUSO, at ang TV series na YOUNG LOVE, SWEET LOVE! (rolls in laughter)

bong - ang saya naman ng buhay mo! isa ka palang untouchable nung hayskul. you must have had a very interesting high school life!

ade - hahahhaha! surprisingly, the teachers who lodged complaints were those guilty of having the F Syndrome.

 
At 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

natamaan sila siguro.

shet, you were a kick-ass journalist. saludo ako sayo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home